Thursday, January 29, 2009

Winter Wonderland

Okay, so it wasn't quite the "mini" ice storm I thought it was--there were plenty of downed trees and limbs, and it took me 30 minutes to chisel my car out of the 3/4" shell it had this morning. The roads are decent, though, which is why I had to chisel my car out and come to work. Everything looks beautiful all covered in silvery ice.

And I would like to take a moment to say, "Hooray for wool gloves!" As we all know, wool can absorb 30% of its weight in water and still not feel wet and cold, which I was very grateful for this morning. It's hard to chisel effectively with frozen hands, and my hands stayed toasty warm in my handknit gloves, even as they got wet and snowy. I'm so glad I didn't have to go anywhere yesterday. My walkway and sidewalk even got cleared, with no effort on my part! The guy across the street knocked on my door and offered to clear them for $5, and I counter-offered: would he do it for beer? Gladly! So I hauled the almost-full case of cans and the 5-out-of-six-pack of bottles out to the porch, and ta-da! Clear sidewalk, and no more beer that I won't drink taking up room in my house. Hooray!

I hope everyone has a lovely, safe, warm Thursday.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Don't you just love the barter system? No, 3/4-inch of ice is not a mini storm. Glad you made it into work safely.

Love, Mom

Robyn Wade said...

I bet he was excited to get that much beer for shoveling your walk.

Samara said...

Bargaining with booze, every health professional I know would be appalled, however, I am proud of you.

rochard said...

Hi, Ann! I was just catching up on your activities and wanted to mention that your sweater is fabulous. Treat yourself to a bit of cashmere for a little lace ascot. It's the perfect neckline for a scarf.