Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It's Not just Gauge Swatches...

...Sweater pieces lie, also.


Look at the lovely progress I've made on my sweater back! I worked on it at SnB last night. The directions for the part I'm on now instructed me to work in stockinette until the armholes measure 8.75 inches. Okay--I can do that! I measured periodically to check my progress, and I started getting excited when the tape measure said 7.5. I did math and figured out that I should only have 8 rows to go. I did 8 rows, measured again, and got 7! WTF?

Grumble grumble. I laid it on the floor, spread it out, and remeasured--this time I got something like 7.25.

I kept measuring and remeasuring, and I don't think I got the same number twice. So now the sweater back is in time out. As Robyn suggested, I even put the bag in the corner.

Stupid sweater. I hope that it decides to behave.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Yeah, what's with that? I was zooming along, doing my raglan sleeve decreasing, needing it to be 11.5 inches. It was, then it wasn't. I knit on the last 6 stitches until I have what looks like a tab at the top of the sleeve. It was, then it wasn't--again. I bound off (but didn't weave in the tail) and folded it up to think about settling on the correct measurement. Stupid sleeve tab thingy.

Knitting Magic Girl said...

Sometimes you just have to show the knitting who's in charge and put it in time out. That's where my Donegal sweater is right now too.

Robyn Wade said...

If the corner doesn't work, try locking it in a closet for a week!!

Samara said...

Oh...Please don't lock it in the closet. There's not anymore room in there. Plus I think someone ate all the poptarts