Sunday, May 25, 2008

Inventory: OTN

This morning I had to fight the urge to start a scarf, a hanky, and two new socks. It's not so much a case of startitis as crafting ADD--I'm in a frenzy of enthusiasm for everything at once. (I'm also fighting the urge to scour Lexington as I did Green Bay in a search for ladies' hankies. I don't need more--I've got about a dozen.) So I thought I'd take a step back and take an honest look at what I'm working on right now before I did anything rash.

Afghan square. Priority: High. My goal is to have 42 squares by June 1; right now I have 21, and I'm positive there are more out there that haven't been dropped off at ReBelle yet. I think we're in pretty good shape. Thanks a million, Stitch 'n' Bitchers!

Blaze/Oriole Socklets. One completed, one barely started. Priority: Low. This is stashbusting/mindless knitting.

Hanky number 3. Edging base nearly completed. Priority: Medium. I have no real need for it (I pretty much only use hankies when I've planned ahead to cry), but it's really hard to put aside a shiny new obsession. I couldn't bear to rank it "low."

The slowest Bellatrix socks in the universe. Priority: Low. I hate to say it, but my enthusiasm for these socks has waned because of the fussiness level. I still really want to end up with a pair of Bellatrix socks at some point, but my world/mindset doesn't allow for fussiness very much right now.

Sock Knitters' Pentathlon Sock #2. Priority: Low. Again, there's a fussiness factor I'm not sure I'm up to right now. I may frog this and save the pattern for later. (Check out my awesome throw pillow!)

Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth, knit entirely in a doctor's waiting room. Priority: Medium. Again, I have no real need for it, but I spaced out and didn't have any knitting with me on a day when I knew I would spend some time waiting, so I borrowed some of Samara's needles and a ball of cotton. (Her house is closer to my office and my doctor's office than mine is.) I need to give the needles back at some point! Plus, it's a quick knit and I don't need it hanging out and driving my numbers up unnecessarily.

Wombat. Priority: Medium-high. The recipient is due to make his arrival sometime in August. I can't rank it low and then put it off until September!

I frogged the Cursed Red Sock I started many moons ago. I seriously considered just cutting the yarn and hanging it up on my bulletin board with the other cursed yarn (What? You mean you don't have a cursed yarn quarantine?), but decided against it for now. The curse did make itself apparent in the rewinding process a few times, in the form of stubborn tangles, so quarantine is still an option--if the curse doesn't wear off before I get back to it. (Hear that, cursed yarn? You're not safe. There are ways of dealing with you. Remember, you're 40% cotton. I bet you're flammable. Think about that.)

So here's my plan: I'm taking the afghan square and the hanky to SnB today. If I finish the square, wonderful--I'll get to play with my hanky. After the square is done, I'll move on to the dishcloth, then the wombat. And after that, anything goes! My amazing and generous mother bought me some Debbie Bliss Pure Silk, and I'm scouting patterns now. Who wants to place bets on the next project I cast on?

No comments: