Thursday, February 7, 2008

Knitting *Edit: Famous

There's one really good thing about working the register at Second Work: if it's quiet, and you've already sorted and counted everything that needs to be sorted and counted, you can actually turn the heel of a sock.

The colors are a bit off; the parts on the cuff that look coral are actually plum plied with/changing to a golden orange, and the heel is a darker plum than it appears to be on my screen.

Anyway, the point is that I did the entire heel flap, the short row shaping, and started the gusset, all while standing at the register (over several shifts). That's how quiet it's been lately. Not that I'm complaining! Getting to stand around knitting and every once in a while selling something--that's my kind of second job.


I'm getting close to being done with my Wavy Feathers Wimple.

I think I'm going to make it a bit longer than the pattern suggests. Instead of staring the garter stitch border now I'm going to add another half a repeat of the lace pattern. I very carefully tried it on this morning on the needles, and when it stretches widthwise it gets significantly shorter lengthwise. But even with the added length I might finish it tonight.


Today's the day that I'm going to give my coworker a knitting lesson. Let's hope that my next post doesn't end with, "...and then she stabbed me with a size 10 bamboo needle!"

Edit: A few weeks ago, a columnist at the Philadelphia Weekly took a swipe at Anticraft, the book written by two members of my Stitch 'n' Bitch group, in the course of swiping at knitting in general. (The column is here.) Someone posted the link to the group, and of course we all had some choice words for the columnist and his opinions. Somehow, mine made it into his follow-up column! I'm totally famous now. See if you can guess which comment is mine! (No points awarded to anyone who's on the list and already knows. Sorry, folks--fair's fair!)

4 comments:

Barbara said...

No, I can't guess which of those comments was yours. You're a well-brought-up young lady who would never use words like that.

So, how's the tiny green earflap hat coming?

See how nice it is to have a job you can knit at? Lovely sock.

Ann said...

Sorry, Mom, I'm not making a tiny green earflap hat. That'd be pretty funny, though! My language is fully above-board and family-friendly.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Aaron said...

It's either the first one about attacking him with sock needles, or the one about the rogue tea cozy.

If it's the former, you're probably pissed that he unnecessarily corrected your grammar, and since you didn't rant about that, my guess is for the latter.

Samara said...

oh, I was gonna guess rogue tea cozy!