Friday, September 14, 2007

New Socks

Ta da!



I finished my New York socks yesterday, and I'm wearing them today! That makes three whole pairs done. Some day I'm going to manage to start in the same place in a color repeat and end up with two completely identical socks, but I have to confess that it doesn't bother me much that my socks don't quite match. I'm making socks!

Speaking of which, I've made some progress on the Giant Socks o' Love. (I'm trying to come up with a name for David's wedding kilt hose. I don't think I'm going to go with "Giant Socks o' Love," but it's the best I've got so far. The actual pattern name is Banais, but because I'm not sure how to pronounce that, I haven't been using it.) Anyway, I finished the garter band yesterday--that's the band of ribbing that hides under the turned-down cuff, to keep them from falling down. So I was all excited to start on the leg, and I was reading the instructions, and it says, "Continue by knitting the Irish Rib pattern for 5 sts, Clock pattern for 6 sts, Irish Rib pattern for 24 sts, Clock pattern for 6 sts, Irish Rib pattern for 13 sts, Cable pattern over 6 sts." Okay. I started to figure out how many stitches to actually repeat the Irish Rib pattern over (my stitch count is higher than theirs) when I realized something. The pattern gives me a chart for Irish Rib, and a chart for the Clock pattern. The cable pattern? Not so much. No chart for the cable pattern. And I'm not an experienced enough cabler to be able to figure it out from the picture. Crap! (I just typed "Carp!" which was almost funny enough for me to leave it there. But my inner editor just wouldn't let me.) Sigh. I might be crazy, but the picture doesn't look like it has a cable big enough to be worked over 6 stitches. I'm going to have to throw myself on the mercy of more experienced knitters, once again, and see if someone more awesome than I am can tell me what to do.

In other news, only 107 people in front of me for Ravelry. Hooray!

2 comments:

Abby&David said...

Giant Socks O' Love sounds like something I'd be afraid to put my feet into. I'd appreciate a better name. I'll try to think of one and let you know.
David

Barbara said...

I have a few ideas for names rattling around in my brain but I'm reluctant to commit them to blog. I'll think on them and perhaps run them by you tomorrow when we talk.

Cool socks! They look match-y to me.

Love, Mom